There are lots of ways different ones of us humans are burdened. LOTS of ways!
But let’s be sure we notice one of the big ones here. Because, after all, Jesus is making a point of recognizing that we carry burdens, and He is inviting us to come “learn” from Him, and attach ourselves by taking on His “yoke.”
So: Are you ever burdened by other people? Specifically,
- By other people not really handling their own stuff very well?
- Or by other people blaming YOU because they are not handling their own stuff very well?
- Or by other people deliberately trying to make your life more difficult?
- Or by your sorrow or worry about what is happening to other people – whether by their own fault or not?
- Or by increasing obligations to carry loads others are not equipped to carry – or are no longer equipped to carry – and need your help with?
We could add more, I bet.
But Jesus says this:
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11)
Jesus knows very well about carrying other peoples’ burdens – been there, done that! And He makes a free and open offer here to help us with carrying those burdens we have that come from being involved with and caring about other people.
He knows about that. Frankly, He loves it when that happens; so we should not be surprised.
But the really cool thing is
- He is totally willing to honor us in that,
- to not avoid us because we are burdened,
- and to come alongside to help.
And frankly, sometimes the biggest help is just knowing that God really cares about this stuff!
So, go to Him, all you who are weary and burdened. The “rest” He gives may not be that the burden disappears. It may be that you get help carrying it. But that is a pretty big deal!